WordPress image compression plugins are effective in compressing images on your website without distorting their quality. In this article, I will list the best plugins that can help you compress images on WordPress and improve your page load time.
1. WP Smush
The reason why WP Smush is topping this list is simply that it is the fastest and easiest image compression plugin on the market. This plugin has been voted as the best WordPress image compression plugin because of its amazing features and the fact that it is completely free!
Features That Make WP Smush Image Compressor a Great Choice:
- The plugin lets you control the image width and height so you can resize the images to your preferred dimensions.
- WP Smush compresses images not only in media uploads but in any directory you want.
- WP Smush is compatible with popular media library plugins including WP All Import, WP Offload S3, WP Media Folder, and WPML.
- WP Smush takes privacy into consideration as it does not interact with the users on your website like asking for newsletter subscriptions.
ShortPixel Image Optimizer is an easy to use, lightweight, WordPress image compression plugin that compresses all the past images and PDF files on your website. The plugin is an install – and – forget – about – it, since you don’t have to worry about manually compressing your images. Everytime you upload an image on your WordPress, the plugin automatically compresses it without losing quality.
Features That Make ShortPixel Image Optimizer a Great Choice:
- The plugin compresses JPG, PNG, GIF and also PDF documents.
- ShortPixel also has the option to convert JPG, PNG and GIF into WebP.
- With a 24hrs dedicated support system,
- ShortPixel is one of the best WordPress image compression plugins available.
The Compress JPEG & PNG images plugin compresses your website’s images by using a popular image compress service; TinyJPG and TinyPNG. This plugin optimizes new images that are uploaded onto your WordPress. The plugin also lets you resize original images by setting the maximum width and height for the images.
Features That Make Compress JPEG & PNG a Great Choice:
- Compatible with WPML
- Optimize imaged already in the WordPress library
- No limit to file size
- Compress animated PNG
- Bulk optimization of heavy images
Imsanity is one of the best WordPress image optimizer plugins that helps you resize the image on your website to a size that is compatible with the display in the browser (makes it large enough for the users).
Features That Make Imsanity a Great Choice:
- The plugin resizes the image automatically as soon as the user uploads it and replaces it with the resized image.
- Imsanity also offers a bulk resize features where you can select a number of images and resize them all at once to free up disk space.
- The plugin is free and is ideal for blogs that don’t require high resolution images on their website & perfect for Blogs to increase your blog speed.
Just like WP Smush, EWWW Image Optimizer is also a popular WordPress image optimizer plugin that helps increase your website’s speed by compressing your images on WordPress site. The increased page speed will improve your rankings on search engines, increase traffic and ultimately help promote conversions.
Features That Make EWWW Image Optimizer a Great Choice:
- The automatic background optimization and parallel optimization features let you optimize unlimited file size and improve your website’s load time.
- This plugin helps you optimize your images on WordPress site.
- No Speed Limits and unlimited file size.
- The tool optimizes images to pixel perfection by using industry-leading tools and rendering.
6. WP Retina 2x
WP Retina is a great free WordPress image optimization plugin that not only creates image files required by high DPI devices but also displays it to your visitors accordingly. The plugin generates retina images automatically so that you website looks crisp and sharp on every device regardless of the screen size.
Features That Make WP Retina 2x a Great Choice:
- Supports multiple methods to display retina images to your visitors so that consistency is maintained throughout various devices.
- The plugin doesn’t require any complex configuration.
- It is also lightweight and doesn’t overload your WordPress website.
- The PRO version adds support for lazy loading as well
reSmush.it allows users to optimize images using the reSmush.it API. The plugin provides image optimization based on various alogorithms. The API accepts JPGand GIF files and the size limit is 5MB.
Features That Make reSmush.it Image Optimizer a Great Choice:
- Bulk optimization within 2 clicks
- Option to choose the images you want to optimize
- More than 100,000 active installs on WordPress repository
Optimus is a great WordPress image optimization plugin created by KeyCDN. For those who don’t know, KeyCDN is a popular CDN, Content Delivery Network, that helps in optimizing site speed. The plugin reduces image size up to 70% without affecting image quality. It also optimizes thumbnails along with images within the content.
Features That Make Optimus a Great Choice:
- Reduces file size while uploading
- No coding necessary
- Supports WooCommerce
- Optimized for WordPress mobile apps
Imagify is an effective WordPress image optimization plugin created by WP Media. The plugin automatically optimizes WordPress images including thumbnails to improve site load time. It also optimizes WebP images through this plugin for free.
Features That Make Imagify a Great Choice:
- Supports Lossless compression
- Supports Lossy compression
- Can also compress WebP images